Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Spree and me both agree a case should cost 7.99

It's been more than two years since Latrell Sprewell brushed off an "insulting" three-year 21 million dollar contract extension from the Minnesota Timberwolves because he had a "family to feed." Then he inexplicably dropped off the face of the basketball earth.

But his quote lingered and Sprewell become the poster child for the selfish, spoiled athlete.

Being the optimist I am, I saw personal growth while the others saw ingratitude -- and why would you criticize a guy for thinking of his family when, five years earlier, that same guy would have literally choked the life out of the poor minion sent to him with a contract offer of any thing less than ten million per year?

I'm still trying to figure out where I stand on the latest news item involving Sprewell and comically inflated financial terms: The one where the mother of four of his children is suing him for 200 million dollars because he backed out of an implied "long term cohabitation deal."

My first feeling was relief. Now we know at least four of Sprewell's brood have beat the odds and received enough sustenance to survive their father's premature unemployment. Then, when I read Sprewell's current habitation is a yacht on a Wisconsin lake, I had to laugh because who doesn't think it's funny that Latrell Sprewell spends his winters on a yacht on a Wisconsin lake rather than on the basketball court with his contemporaries.

I also noticed the name of Spree's yacht is "Milwaukee's Best."

If I was lucky enough to get to live on a yacht on a lake in Wisconsin, I too would christen the boat "Milwaukee's Best." I couldn't even imagine calling it anything else.

I'm having trouble remembering another time Latrell Sprewell and I had something in common.

No comments: